Mexican Style Chicken-Lime Soup
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut thin slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 garlic cloves - (to 10) minced
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 2 medium roma tomatoes peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 serrano or jalapeño pepper - (to 4) seeded, sliced thin (depending on how hot you like it)
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add onion, garlic and hot peppers and cook for about 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in stock and remaining ingredients, except cilantro. Simmer soup until chicken is cooked, about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in cilantro and adjust seasonings. Ladle soup into bowls.
This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings; n/a carb grams per serving.