Caramels (from Juanita Walters)
This caramel recipe was given to me by a lady at my church. I have made them several years at Christmas time and they have always turned out well and been delicious!
- 1 lb.light brown sugar
- 2 sticks real butter
- 1 C white syrup
- 1 can eagle Brand (sweetened condensed milk)
1. Cook in a heavy pan--stirring constantly to 245-250 F (using a candy thermometer)
2. Add 1- 1 1/2 C chopped walnuts or pecans and 1 tsp. of vanilla after removing from heat. (Obviously nuts are optional).
3. Pour into a buttered pan (7" x 10" x 1"). Cool completely. When cold, turn onto a buttered cutting board and cut, making strips and then cut size caramel you want. Wrap each in wax paper.
4. **If you have a coated pan or stainless pan you don't have to stir as much.