Roasted Eggplant Parmesan
The Good Housekeeping Cookbook, pg. 347
248 calories, 16 g fat
- 2 small eggplants (1 1/4 pounds each), ends trimmed, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (28 ounces) plum tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 450*F. Place eggplant slices on 2 large cookie sheets. Brush oil on both sides and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Roast 15 minutes; turn slices and roast until browned and tender, 20 to 25 minutes longer.
2. Meanwhile, in nonstick 12-inch skillet, combine tomatoes, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper; heat to boiling over medium heat. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes have thickened, about 20 minutes. Stir in parsley.
3. Turn oven control to 400*F. In shallow 2 1/2-quart casserole, layer half of eggplant and top with half of tomato sauce; sprinkle with half of mozzarella. Repeat layers; top with grated Parmesan.
4. Cover loosely with foil. Bake until bubbling, about 10 minutes. Remove casserole from oven and let stand at least 10 minutes before serving. Serve hot or at room temperature.