It's french fried potatoes, on steroids! Frozen french fries are baked then topped with pan-sauteed (frozen) shrimp and a homemade cheddar cheese sauce.
- Cheese Sauce:
- 1 (2 lb) bag crinkle cut frozen french fries (shown Alexia Smart Classics brand)
- 1 (12 oz) bag frozen small shrimp, thawed, tails removed if present
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Chopped green onions, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk, or 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (I used medium cheddar)
Toss the shrimp with the garlic salt, salt, and pepper. Set aside. Preheat oven to 450 F.
Make the sauce:
In a 2-qt saucepan (that has a lid), melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes, whisking constantly. Do not brown the roux. Slowly, whisk in the milk and cook until thickened, whisking constantly, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in the salt, pepper, and shredded cheese until melted. Place a paper towel over the pot and cover with the lid to keep warm.
Spread the fries out in a single layer on a large baking sheet (such as a jelly-roll pan) and bake according to package directions.
Meanwhile, cook the shrimp:
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat; add olive oil, swirl around to distribute. Add shrimp and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side, or just until done. Don't overcook your shrimp.
When fries are done, arrange them on a serving platter or 4 individual plates. Scatter the shrimp over the fries then drizzle with the cheese sauce. Garnish with chopped green onions and serve immediately.