Macaroni and Cheese Light - with Squash
Clinton Kelly's (of ABC's The Chew) lightened up version of Macaroni and Cheese. Just over half the calories of regular Mac.
- 3 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1 1/4 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 pound cavatappi pasta
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup Italian seasoned panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from abc.go.com
1. In a medium saucepan over medium-high, add butternut squash, stock, milk and garlic. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer until the squash is tender (about 20 minutes).
2. Remove from heat and add to the base of a blender. Add in the Greek yogurt and season with salt and pepper. Blend starting on low and slowly increase the speed, being careful to avoid splatters. Blend until smooth and then add in the Gruyere and Parmigiano-Reggiano. Blend again until combined and cheese is melted.
3. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
4. Cook the cavatappi according to the package instructions.
5. Meanwhile, heat butter in a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Add panko and cook until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and set aside.
6. When pasta is done, drain and add it directly to the cheesy squash mixture.
7. Serve with the toasted panko sprinkled on top. Garnish with chopped parsley.
You'll also love
- Bacon & Egg Muffins 4.6/5 (16 Votes)
- Currant-Orange Irish Soda Bread 4.6/5 (16 Votes)
- Blueberry Lemon Cake 4.6/5 (16 Votes)
- Roasted sweet potato salad 4.6/5 (16 Votes)
- Homemade Gnocchi from leftover... 4.2/5 (46 Votes)
- Spicy Sausage Pasta 4.7/5 (10 Votes)
- Mini Pumpkin Spice Gluten-Free... 4.6/5 (16 Votes)
- Greek Chicken Roulades with a... 4.7/5 (10 Votes)