Lettuce Wedge With Bleu Cheese Dressing
This was adapted from a copycat recipe from Lone Star Steakhouse. I add bacon and red onion. Making your own bleu cheese dressing is easy and much tastier!
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup crumbled bleu cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Salad and Toppings
- 1 head of iceberg lettuce
- 1/4 cup crumbled bleu cheese, divided (approx. 1 to 1-1/2 tablespoons per salad)
- 6 sliced cherry or grape tomatoes, per salad
- 3 slices cooked bacon, crumbled per salad
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced, divided per salad
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 20mins
Ahead of time, in a medium bowl, with an electric mixer, combine all the dressing ingredients. I use a small electric chopper/blender. Store in refrigerator.
Trim the outer leaves of the lettuce and rinse and dry the lettuce whole. Cut the lettuce vertically with the core into the pieces or wedges you prefer, then cut the core. Cut and store the wedges in the fridge.
To serve, place the wedge on a salad plate, drizzle dressing, and add bleu cheese, bacon crumbles, red onion and sliced tomatoes. Add a touch of freshly ground black pepper, if desired. Serve cold.
2 tablespoons dressing 104 calories, 3 pieces crumbled bacon 80 calories
1 tablespoon blue cheese 25 calories, 6 cherry tomatoes 18 calories
227 per serving