Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 small butternut squash - (abt 1 1/4 lbs) peeled, seeded, and cut into 1" pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 yellow squash - (abt 1 1/4 lbs) cut 1" pieces
- 1/4 cup finely-chopped onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cans vegetable or chicken broth - (14 1/2 oz ea)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Pumpkin seeds (optional)
Heat oven to 450 degrees. Toss butternut squash with 1 tablespoon oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet. Roast, turning once, 15 minutes.
Toss yellow squash and onions with remaining oil, salt and pepper. Add to baking sheet with butternut squash. Continue roasting 20 minutes until all vegetables are tender.
In a large saucepot over medium heat cook pumpkin pie spice 1 minute, stirring constantly 1 minute or until fragrant. Stir in tomato paste and cook 1 minute more. Add roasted vegetables and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer 20 minutes. Stir in cream. Remove from heat. Purée soup with an immersion blender.
Heat gently to warm through. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper. To serve, divide soup in bowls and garnish with toasted pumpkin seeds and sour cream, if desired.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
Carbohydrates: 13.5 grams
Net Carbs: 9.5 grams
Fiber: 4 grams
Protein: 2.5 grams
Fat: 12.5 grams
Warm spices such as cinnamon, ginger, allspice, nutmeg and cloves are found in one jar -- pumpkin pie spice. However, if you have the above spices in your cabinet and want to make your own spice mixture, combine 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ginger, 1/8 teaspoon each of allspice and nutmeg and a pinch of ground cloves.
You'll also love
- Buffalo Chicken Wings II 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Blue Cheese And Bacon Soup 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Black Olives With Lemon And Fennel 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Berry And Mousse Parfait 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Beef Carpaccio With Arugula And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Avocado Zucchini Soup 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Zucchini Pancakes With Feta,... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Butternut Squash And Corn Soup 0/5 (0 Votes)