- 1 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 (13.5-oz.) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- Sweetened whipped cream
- Garnish: toasted flaked coconut
1. Whisk together first 3 ingredients in a large heavy saucepan; whisk in milk and next 2 ingredients. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly. Boil 1 minute, whisking constantly. Remove from heat.
2. Whisk in butter and vanilla bean paste. Spoon pudding into serving dishes; cover and chill 4 hours. Dollop with sweetened whipped cream.