The Perfect White Cake
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 cup milk at room temperature
- 6 large egg whites at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened but still cool
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare two 8-inch cake pans.
Make sure milk and eggs are room temperature.
Pour milk (I used skim) , egg whites, and extracts into medium bowl and mix with fork until blended.
Mix cake flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in bowl of electric mixer at slow speed. Add butter, cut into cubes and continue beating on low for about 1-2 minutes.
Add all but 1/2 cup of milk mixture to flour mixture and beat at medium speed for 1 1/2 minutes. Add remaining 1/2 cup of milk mixture and beat for about 1 minute.
Pour batter evenly between two prepared cake pans.
Bake until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 27 to 30 minutes.
Allow cake to cool to room temperature.
Frost cakes with favorite frosting.
Just barely adapted from epicurious, taken from Cooks Illustrated.