CHICKEN FLORENTINE CASSEROLE
- 13 oz frozen spinach, thawed (369 g)
- 1 cooked rotisserie chicken, cut up into
- bite-sized pieces (about 4 cups or more is fine too - 5 cups!)
- 1 tbsp bacon fat (15 mL)
- 1 lb sliced fresh mushrooms (0.45 kg)
- Seasoning salt, to taste
- 6 oz cream cheese (180 g)
- 1/2 cup whipping cream (125 mL)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (125 mL)
- (the kind in a can)
- 2 tbsp water (30 mL)
- 1 tbsp olive oil (15 mL)
- 1 tbsp minced garlic (15 mL)
- Liquid sweetener (sucralose or stevia) to equal 2 tsp sugar (10 mL)
- OPTIONAL - just to balance flavors
- 1 tsp onion salt (5 mL)
- 1 tsp cornstarch, OR arrowroot powder (5 mL)
- 1 tsp lemon juice (5 mL)
- 1/8 tsp salt (0.5 mL)
- 1/8 tsp white pepper (0.5 mL)
- 5 slices bacon, cooked and cut up
- 2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese, OR Mozzarella (500 mL)
Adapted from low-carb-news.blogspot.gr
Preheat oven to Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
Squeeze most of the water out of the spinach. Sprinkle in bottom of 9 x 13-inch (23 x 33 cm) glass baking dish. It will look sparse (see my pic above), but don't worry. I used a bit more chicken, so no way I could have used a smaller dish!
In frying pan, over medium heat in bacon fat, toss mushrooms, place lid on pan, slightly ajar and cook until water evaporates. Sprinkle mushrooms lightly with seasoning salt. Layer mushrooms over spinach.
In food processor, combine cream cheese, whipping cream, Parmesan cheese, water, olive oil, garlic, liquid sweetener, onion salt, cornstarch, OR arrowroot powder, lemon juice, salt and white pepper. Process. Pour half sauce over vegetables. Add chicken and remaining sauce. Sprinkle with bacon bits and top with cheese. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until bubbly.