Spring Vegetable Soup
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 leeks, white part only washed well, chopped
- 1/2 pound asparagus cut 1/2" pieces
- 1 small yellow squash cut 1/2" pieces
- 4 ounces pea pods cut 1/2" pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 3 cans reduced-sodium chicken broth - (14 1/2 oz ea)
- 1 can water
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add leeks and cook 2 minutes, until softened, stirring occasionally. Add asparagus and cook 2 minutes, until color brightens. Add squash and pea pods and cook 2 minutes, or until squash begins to soften.
Add salt, pepper, broth and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Just before serving, stir in parsley and peel.
This recipe yields 8 servings.
Carbohydrates: 10.5 grams
Net Carbs: 8.5 grams
Fiber: 2 grams
Protein: 5.5 grams
Fat: 6 grams