Sky High Apple Pie Muffins
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour (or white all-purpose flour)
- 1 and 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup almond milk (or soy or regular)
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp fat free apple yogurt* (or vanilla or plain)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce (or vegetable oil)**
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 2 heaping cups chopped apple (cored + peeled, if you prefer peeled chunks – I did not peel mine)
- Oat Streusel Topping
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 35mins
Preheat oven to 425F. Spray muffin tin with nonstick spray. Set aside.
Prepare oat streusel topping by mixing everything together until the mixture resembles course crumbs. Set aside.
Prepare the muffins: in a large bowl combine the flour, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside. In a separate large bowl, whisk together the milk, sugars, yogurt, apple sauce, eggs, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Gently fold wet mixture into the flour, stirring until *just combined* – do NOT overmix. Gently fold in the apples.
Spoon the batter into 12 muffin tins, making sure each one is filled to the very top. Sprinkle reserved oat streusel topping over each muffin.
Bake for 5 minutes at 425 degrees, then immediately reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees and bake for another 15-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
*In my muffins, I used Yoplait Light (fat free) Apple Turnover flavor. If you can’t find an apple flavored yogurt, plain or vanilla yogurt would work as well.
*The unsweetened applesauce gives these muffins moisture- just as oil would – without the added fat. Feel free to use vegetable oil in lieu of the applesauce, which would lend a softer muffin with a higher fat content.