Roasted Vegetable Soup
- 4 plum tomatoes halved
- 2 small eggplants - (abt 1 lb ea) quartered lengthwise
- 6 green onions, white and 1" of green
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh marjoram (or 1 1/4 tspns dried marjoram)
- 2 cans reduced-sodium chicken broth - (14 1/2 oz ea)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Place tomatoes, eggplants, green onions and garlic in a shallow roasting pan. Toss with oil and marjoram. Roast, turning occasionally, 40 minutes until vegetables are tender and starting to brown.
When eggplants are cool enough to handle, scoop out pulp into a large saucepot; add remaining vegetables. Stir in broth. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer 35 minutes until vegetables are very soft. Cool.
Purée soup in blender in batches. Return soup to saucepot. Stir in cream, salt and pepper. Heat through.
This recipe yields 8 servings.
Carbohydrates: 12.5 grams
Net Carbs: 9 grams
Fiber: 3.5 grams
Protein: 3 grams
Fat: 17.5 grams