Italian Cabbage and Prosciutto Salad (Insalata di Prosciutto)
- 1 small head Savoy cabbage, cored, quartered,
- and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lb (225 g) thinly sliced prosciutto, coarsely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) red wine vinegar
Place the shredded cabbage in a large bowl. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over moderate heat and fry the prosciutto until it is crisp around the edges. Pour the oil and prosciutto over the cabbage, add the salt, and pepper, and toss to combine. Return the skillet to the heat, add the vinegar, swirling the pan to deglaze it, and boil until reduced by half. Pour over the cabbage and toss well. Serves 6 to 8.