CANNED BEETS AND BEAN SALAD
Need a protein-rich dish, but can’t reach into your fridge or freezer for meat? Then toss a hearty salad that features canned beans! Any type of beans you pick – kidney beans, black beans or others – is a good source of protein, as well as iron and fiber.
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) beets, chopped
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) new potatoes, chopped
- 1/2 small onion, chopped or 1/2 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried parsley or 1/2 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried basil or 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice concentrate or juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Preparation Time: Approximately 10 minutes
In a large bowl, mix kidney beans, beets, potatoes, onions, parsley and basil. Toss with olive oil and lemon juice. Add salt and pepper to taste. If you have a refrigerator or chilled cooler available, chill for 30 minutes before serving, or enjoy at room temperature.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Calories 180; Total fat 5g; Saturated fat 0.5g; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 470mg; Carbohydrate 28g; Fiber 8g; Protein 6g; Vitamin A 6%DV; Vitamin C 25%DV; Calcium 6%DV; Iron 20%DV