Baked Fennel Au Gratin
- 2 fennel bulbs - (1 lb ea)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter plus
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons Atkins Bake Mix
- 1 cup cream
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese - (4 oz)
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
Heat oven to 375 degrees. Trim fennel leaving 1-inch stalks. Quarter bulbs, remove center core. Cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices. Place fennel in a saucepan, add 1/2 cup water, and cook over medium heat 10 minutes, until just tender. Drain fennel and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Grease a shallow 2-quart baking dish with 1 teaspoon butter. Transfer fennel to dish, pressing down to form an even layer.
In a medium saucepan melt butter. Stir in bake mix; cook 2 minutes. Pour in cream. Bring to a boil; cook 5 minutes until slightly thickened. Add Gruyere cheese; stir until melted.
Pour sauce evenly over fennel. Sprinkle dish with Parmesan cheese. Cover with foil and bake 15 minute; uncover and bake 15 minutes more until golden brown and bubbly.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
Carbohydrates: 13 grams
Net Carbs: 8 grams
Fiber: 5 grams
Protein: 8 grams
Fat: 27.5 grams