Wilted Mixed Greens With Citrus Dressing
- 8 strips bacon - (abt 1/2 lb)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small apple thinly sliced
- 1 small onion coarsely chopped
- 1 packet sugar substitute
- 3 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 4 1/2 teaspoons fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 1/2 pounds mixed greens - (abt 12 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon pomegranate seeds (optional)
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon 7 minutes, until brown and crisp. Drain bacon on paper towels; crumble and reserve. Pour bacon fat into a measuring cup and add as much olive oil as needed (about 3 tablespoons) to make 1/2 cup. Pour mixture back into skillet.
Add apple and onion to skillet. Cook until apple is fork tender, about 7 minutes. Stir in sugar substitue, lemon and orange juices and rinds. Mix well; heat 30 seconds.
Pour dressing over greens; add crumbled bacon and pomegranate seeds, if using. Toss until greens are well coated and wilted. Serve warm.
This recipe yields 8 servings.
Carbohydrates: 10 grams
Net Carbs: 7 grams
Fiber: 3 grams
Protein: 4 grams
Fat: 9 grams