Winter Grain & Roasted Vegetable Salad
Sweet roasted vegetables and winter grains make this healthy tasty salad recipe a keeper!
- 1 3/4 pounds fresh beets with stems and leaves (about 1-bunch)
- 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped, plus 1 sprig
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, chopped, plus 1 sprig
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 pound parsnips, peeled and diced into 1-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup pearled farro (such as Natures Earthly Choice)
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking bulgur wheat (such as Bobs Red Mill)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 ounces soft goat cheese
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 75mins
Heat oven to 425°F.
Trim beet stems and leaves; set aside. Scrub beets and dry; quarter and toss with 1 tablespoon of the oil, one sprig each of the thyme and the rosemary, and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Wrap tightly in foil and place packet on a baking sheet. Toss parsnips in 1 tablespoon of the oil and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt; place unwrapped next to beets. Roast at 425°F for 35 to 40 minutes or until fork-tender.
Allow beets to cool slightly; carefully peel and discard skins using a paper towel. Dice beets into 1-inch pieces and place in a large bowl with accumulated juices and roasted parsnips.
In a medium lidded pot, combine farro, bulgur and 5 cups water. Cover and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 15 minutes or until grains are cooked. Drain and rinse under cold water. Stir into bowl with beets and parsnips.
Meanwhile, remove beet greens from stems; roughly chop greens and cut stems into 1-inch pieces. Wash well. Add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil to a large skillet. Stir in beet stems; cook 6 minutes. Add onion and remaining 1 tablespoon thyme and 2 teaspoons rosemary; cook 5 minutes. Stir in beet greens; cook 3 minutes or until greens are wilted. Season with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Stir into bowl with grains and roasted vegetables. Mix in pecans, remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil and 3/4 teaspoon salt and the pepper. Crumble goat cheese over each serving.
You'll also love
- Biko (Filipino Sweet Sticky Rice) 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Dried Beef Cheeseball 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Jay's Deep Fried Turkey with... 3.9/5 (92 Votes)
- Olive Caprese Salad Recipe 4.3/5 (14 Votes)
- Holly Leaves Cupcakes 4.3/5 (14 Votes)
- 1-Hour Cinnamon Rolls 4.3/5 (14 Votes)
- Spiked Fruit Salad 3.9/5 (42 Votes)
- Toasted Barley Salad with Fresh... 4.2/5 (5 Votes)