Patatas Bravas Home Fries with Roasted Tomato Aioli
- Olive oil
- 1/2 small red onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 3/4 cup prepared mayonnaise
- 1 large plum tomato, halved, seeded and roasted until soft
- Few dashes hot pepper sauce (recommended: Tabasco)
- Splash aged sherry vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large Russet potatoes, parboiled, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Flat-leaf parsley leaves
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 72mins
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Place a baking sheet in the oven.
Heat a tablespoon of oil in a small saute pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the paprika and cook for 30 seconds. Let cool slightly.
Combine the onion mixture, mayonnaise, tomato, hot pepper sauce, and vinegar in a food processor and process until smooth, season with salt and pepper. Scrape the mixture into a bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
Heat 2-inches pure olive oil or canola oil in a large high-sided, heavy-bottomed skillet until it begins to shimmer. Add the potatoes, season with salt and pepper and cook until golden brown on all sides. Remove the potatoes to a paper towel-lined plate for a moment to drain the excess oil. Carefully remove the hot baking sheet from the oven, put the potatoes on the pan in an even layer and bake until crisp, about 10 minutes. Remove the pan and season the potatoes with a bit more salt. Transfer to a platter and drizzle with some of the aioli and garnish with parsley leaves. Serve hot.
Recipe courtesy Bobby Flay