Kibbe (also spelled kibbeh) is a Middle Eastern staple with as many variations as cooks. This version make a tasty and nutritious appetizer for cocktail parties or family gatherings.
- 1 cup (250 ml) fine-grind (#1) or medium-grind (#2) bulgur (cracked wheat)
- 2 cups (500 ml) boiling water
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb (450 g) lean ground lamb
- 1 Tbs (15 ml) ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) ground allspice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Pine nuts (pignoli) for garnish
Soak the bulgur in the water for 20 minutes. Drain if all the water is not absorbed. Combine with the remaining ingredients except the pine nuts and mix thoroughly. Spread into an 8-inch (20 cm) square baking pan and score the top in a diamond pattern with the tip of a knife. Place a pine nut in each section and bake in a preheated 375F (190C) oven until cooked and brown around the edges, about 20 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before cutting along the score marks and serve warm or at room temperature. Serves 8 to 12 as an hors d'oeuvre, 6 to 8 as a first course.