My Favorite Black Bean Dip
- 30-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (about 3 cloves)
- 1 heaping teaspoon vegetable base (I use Better than Bouillon)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- A few dashes of hot hauce
- 1/4 cup brewed coffee or 1/2 tablespoon instant coffee dissolved in 1/4 cup of hot water
Adapted from food52.com
In a large skillet, melt the butter on medium heat and sauté the onions until soft and translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the jalapeño, garlic, cumin, oregano, and vegetable base and sauté for a few more minutes. Add the beans and let everything sizzle in the hot butter for a few minutes. Add sugar and hot sauce and mix everything well.
Dump everything in a food processor, add the coffee, and blend until smooth. Adjust for seasoning. Set aside for a couple of hours for the flavors to meld. Dig in with chips or add to burritos, tacos, or my personal favorite: quesadillas!