Basic Meat Sauce
- 5 pounds ground beef
- 6 medium onions - (to 8) chopped
- 2 small carrots chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley - (to 3)
- 1 can no-sugar-added tomato purée - (15 oz)
- 1 can no-sugar-added tomato sauce - (8 oz)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock or both
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
In an 8-quart stock pan, sauté chopped onions and carrots in olive oil until limp but not brown. Stir in minced parsley and let it go a bit. Transfer all to a big bowl and set aside.
Brown ground beef in the pot in 1 1/2-pound batches, transferring to the bowl of vegetables. Add tomato purée, tomato sauce, and chicken stock to the pot and stir to loosen the good stuff stuck to the bottom.
Return everything to the pot and simmer, uncovered, about 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cool to room temperature, then package in 2- or 3-cup freezer containers. Date, label, and freeze.
This recipe yields about 4 quarts; 7.8 grams of carbohydrate per 1/2 cup serving.