Creamy Steel-Cut Oats with Dried Cherries and Almonds
- 1/2 cup dried sour cherries
- 1 cup whole milk or cream
- 1 cup unsweetened, unflavored almond milk
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup, plus more for drizzling
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, plus more for topping
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 10mins
Adapted from wwwfoodandwine.com
In a small bowl, cover the dried sour cherries with warm water and let stand until plumped and softened, about 15 minutes. Drain the cherries and discard the soaking water.
Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine the whole milk, almond milk and 1 cup of water and bring to a boil. Stir in the oats, cinnamon, ginger, allspice and the 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the oats are al dente and the porridge is creamy, 20 minutes.
Stir in the cherries, maple syrup and almonds and season with salt. Serve topped with more maple syrup and almonds.
MAKE AHEAD The porridge can be refrigerated for up to 2 days. Reheat gently with more milk or cream to loosen as necessary.