Sante Fe Turkey Meatballs
- 1 tablespoon canola oil divided
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2 slices Atkins white bread torn small pieces
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 garlic clove pressed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/4 pound pepper Jack (or Monterey Jack) cheese cut 12 equal cubes
- 1/2 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup green salsa
In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium heat. Cook onion 5 minutes, until softened; cool slightly. In a large bowl soak bread in water until soft. Mix in turkey, garlic, cumin, salt, pepper and onions. Divide mixture into 12 portions.
Insert a cheese cube in the center of each portion and form into balls (make sure cheese is completely enclosed).
Heat remaining 2 teapoons oil over medium heat. Cook meatballs 5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Mix salsa and chicken broth. Add to skillet, reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, 10 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through. Transfer to a plate; spoon sauce over meatballs.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
Carbohydrates: 7.5 grams
Net Carbs: 4.5 grams
Fiber: 3 grams
Protein: 31 grams
Fat: 23.5 grams