Country Style Stuffed Turkey
- 1 turkey - (12 lbs) giblets removed, rinsed and patted dry
- 4 slices Atkins Bakery Rye Bread cut 1/2" dice
- 4 slices Atkins White Bread cut 1/2" dice
- 1 package maple-flavored breakfast sausage - (12 oz)
- 1 package mushrooms - (10 oz) chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 Granny Smith apples peeled, cored, and diced
- 3 large garlic cloves pressed
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth divided
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Bake bread on large jelly roll pan 10 to 14 minutes, stirring once until deep golden. Cool and transfer to large bowl.
Cook sausage in skillet until deep brown and cooked through, coarsely chop and add to bowl.
Add mushrooms and onion to skillet, cook 10 to 12 minutes over medium-high heat until browned; add to bowl. Melt butter in skillet, add apples and cook 4 minutes, until lightly carmelized. Add garlic, cook 30 seconds, then add broth and thyme; bring to a boil. Pour mixture into bowl, add salt and pepper and toss to combine all ingredients evenly. Stir in eggs.
Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees. Fill turkey cavities with stuffing and secure with 6-inch metal skewers. Place in large shallow roasting pan. Sprinkle all over with salt and pepper. Bake 1 1/2 hours, pour 1 cup water over top of turkey and baste occasionally during next 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours, covering top with foil during last hour of baking. An instant read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, not touching bone, should register 175 to 180 degrees. Transfer turkey to a cutting board and let stand 20 minutes before carving.
For Gravy: Place pan on stovetop over two burners. Add wine; cook 30 seconds. Add 1 cup broth, bring to boil, scraping up browned bits on bottom of pan. Strain gravy through a fine sieve into a saucepan. Skim off fat. Whisk flour into remaining 1/2 cup broth, add to saucepan and whisking, bring to a boil; boil 1 minute.
Transfer stuffing to a large serving bowl. Carve turkey and serve with hot gravy.
This recipe yields 12 servings.
Carbohydrates: 20 grams
Net Carbs: 16.5 grams
Fiber: 3.5 grams
Protein: 83.5 grams
Fat: 35.5 grams