Chicken Fajitas Margarita
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast halves cut 2" by 1/2"
- 1/4 cup canola oil plus
- 1 tablespoon canola oil divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup tequila or water
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro divided
- 2 garlic cloves pressed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 8 low-carb flour tortillas
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 1 small green bell pepper cut thin strips
- 1 small tomato chopped
- Sour cream (optional)
- Green salsa (optional)
Place chicken, 1/4 cup of the oil, lime juice, tequila, 1 tablespoon of the cilantro, garlic, cumin, lime peel, salt and pepper in a plastic bag and marinate, refrigerated, 4 hours or overnight. Drain chicken and discard marinade.
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Wrap tortillas in foil and place in oven.
Heat remaining tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook onion 3 minutes, until softened. Add pepper strips and cook 2 minutes, until crisp-tender. Transfer vegetables to a bowl.
Add chicken to skillet and cook about 5 minutes per side, until cooked through (add more oil if necessary). Stir in vegetables and tomato. Cook, stirring, 2 minutes more. Stir in remaining cilantro.
To serve, spoon chicken mixture onto tortillas and top with sour cream and salsa, if desired.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
Carbohydrates: 27 grams
Net Carbs: 8 grams
Fiber: 19 grams
Protein: 30 grams
Fat: 8.5 grams