Indian Spiced Cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons butter or peanut oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, smashed with the back of a knife
- 1 head cauliflower, leaves and core removed and cut into large florets
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder or 2 green chiles, stemmed and cut lengthwise
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 cup diced tomatoes (canned or fresh)
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped cilantro (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat the butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until translucent, 5 minutes. Add the cauliflower and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the cauliflower starts brown, 5-10 minutes. Next add the cumin, garam masala, turmeric, cayenne powder, salt, and ginger, stir to coat the cauliflower mix with the spices. Add the tomatoes and water, stir well, and raise the heat to bring it to a boil.
Cover the Dutch oven with a tight fitting lid and transfer to the oven. Bake for 20 minutes. Taste for salt and adjust if necessary. If using cilantro, add to the pot and stir.