Chicken Braised In Sauerkraut
- 4 slices bacon cut crosswise
- into thin strips
- 8 chicken thighs - (abt 2 1/2 lbs total)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds sauerkraut - (3 cups drained) rinsed
- 1 cup canned low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 10 juniper berries lightly crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 packet Splenda (or other sugar substitute)
In a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon until crisp. Transfer to a bowl with a slotted spoon. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Brown in two batches in bacon drippings, 8 minutes per batch. Transfer chicken to bowl as it browns.
Cook onion in drippings 4 to 5 minutes, until softened. Add bacon, sauerkraut, chicken broth, mustard, juniper berries, bay leaf, sugar substitute, and remaining salt and mix well. Arrange chicken on top. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook on low 35 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
Transfer to a platter. Discard bay leaf. Increase heat to high and boil off most of the cooking liquid. Serve chicken with sauerkraut on the side.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
Carbohydrates: 9.5 grams
Net Carbs: 5 grams
Fiber: 4.5 grams
Protein: 46 grams
Fat: 33.5 grams