Old Fashioned Chicken Noodle Soup
- 8 cups Homemade Chicken Stock, or lower-sodium chicken broth
- 2 skinless, bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 skinless, bone-in chicken breast half
- 2 cups sliced carrot
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4-1 pound uncooked medium thick egg noodles
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Adapted from oldworldgardenfarms.com
1. In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add chicken stock and chicken thighs and breast. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 20 minutes.
2. Remove chicken from pan; let stand for 10 minutes. Once cool enough to handle, remove chicken from bones and cut meat into bite-sized pieces. Discard bones – save to make chicken stock later. (See How to Make Your Own Chicken Stock)
3. Add carrot, celery, onion, thyme and bay leaf to pan. Cover and bring back to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Add noodles, and simmer an additional 6 minutes.
5. Add chicken, salt, and black pepper; cook for 5 minutes or until noodles are done.