Patsy's Tomato Sauce
- 4 1/2 - 5 pounds ripe plum tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, minced (about 1/3 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, quartered
- 1 oz. (2 tablespoons) Chianti or other dry red wine
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
Bring a large pot of water to boil. Remove the stem core from each of the tomatoes and cut an X on the bottom. Add the tomatoes to the boiling water and cook for 2 minutes. Drain allow to cool then remove the skin, coarsely chop and set aside.
Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat and sauté the onion and garlic until soft and golden, about 3 minutes. Add the wine and tomatoes (with their juices) increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Add the bay leaves, reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered for 25 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper
Stir in the tomato paste and add the basil and parsley Simmer for 5 minutes. Remove and discard the garlic