Steak And Roasted Pepper Salad
- 1 1/2 pounds beef flank steak
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 2 roasted red peppers see * Note
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/4 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 cups chopped watercress
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes (or chopped red tomatoes)
* Note: Roasted red peppers can be bought in specialty food shops or in the condiment aisle of your grocery store.
Preheat broiler. Place flank steak on broiler tray and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Broil for about 5 minutes per side. Cool. Halve steak lengthwise. Slice across the grain of the meat into thin strips.
Cut roasted peppers into thin strips. Halve strips crosswise.
Blend oil, vinegars, garlic and dry mustard in a large bowl until well-mixed. Add steak strips, roasted pepper strips, watercress and onion; toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Chill for at least two hours or up to eight hours. Mix in tomatoes and serve.
This recipe yields 6 servings; 5 carb grams per serving.