Grandma's Seafood Chowder
Taste of Home. This is amazing!!!!
- 3 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups half-and-half cream
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 pound haddock fillets, skin removed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups frozen peas (about 10 ounces)
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup lump crabmeat (about 5 ounces), drained
- 1 jar (4 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 teaspoon paprika
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from tasteofhome.com
•In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat 3 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; cook and stir 8-10 minutes or until tender. Remove from pot.
• In same pot, heat remaining butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually whisk in cream and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until thickened.
• Stir in haddock, shrimp, peas and sautéed mushrooms; cook 5-7 minutes or until fish just begins to flake easily with a fork and shrimp turn pink. Add cheese, crab and pimientos; stir gently until cheese is melted. Sprinkle servings with paprika. Yield: 10 servings (3-1/4 quarts).