Portuguese Cod (Bacalao) In Tomato Sauce
- 1 1/3 pounds skinless boneless center-cut
- dried salt cod
- 1/2 red onion sliced
- 1/2 red pepper cut thin strips
- 1/2 green pepper cut thin strips
- 2 celery stalks cut 1/2" slices
- 1 small tomato sliced
- 2 garlic cloves pressed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup controlled carb tomato sauce (such as Raos)
Place in cod in a large bowl with water to cover by 2 inches. Soak 1 day, changing water once or twice. Remove cod from water; pat dry and break into chunks.
Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a 9- by 13-inch baking pan, toss onion, peppers, celery, tomato, and garlic with olive oil. Gently mix in cod and tomato sauce. Cover with aluminum foil; bake 1 1/2 hours until fish is soft and flavors are blended.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
Carbohydrates: 9 grams
Net Carbs: 7 grams
Fiber: 2 grams
Protein: 96 grams
Fat: 10.5 grams