Molded Cherry Coke Salad
- 1/2 cup very cold water
- 3 packages Knox unflavored gelatin
- 4 cups flat diet cola see * Note
- 1 package unsweetened black cherry Kool Aid
- 3 packets Splenda, NutraSweet or Sweet-N-Low
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh grated coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup pecans
* Note: To flatten cola, pour from bottle or can into glass rapidly and then into another glass. Go back and forth between glasses until very little 'fizz' is left.
Soften gelatin in cold water for about 2 minutes in a glass measuring cup. Set cup in the microwave and cook on high for 1 1/2 minutes. Stir well and check to see if you can see through it. If not, microwave for a few more seconds. Pour into a large bowl. Add flat cola, sweetener, and Kool-Aid. Stir until there is no fizz at all.
Place 1 cup of this liquid mixture into blender with cream cheese and whip until the cheese is completely blended. Pour cream cheese mixture back into the bowl with rest of mixture. Stir to blend. Place in the refrigerator and watch it for the beginning signs of gelling. Stir occasionally to keep cream cheese blended.
When mixture begins to thicken, add pecans, coconut, and celery. It should be thick enough to suspend the chopped ingredients at this point. Now is the time to pour it in an elegant mold if you like. Return to refrigerator and allow to set firm. Serve with low-carb whipped cream and/or diced strawberries.
This recipe yields 8 servings; 4.2 carb grams per serving.