French Onion Soup - Sorbonne
- 6 small onions
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup very dry white wine or vermouth
- 1 tablespoon cognac (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons grated Swiss Emmenthal cheese
- Grated parmesan cheese (fresh is best!)
Slice the onions very thin. Sauté them in the butter until lightly browned. Mix in the flour and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more. Stir in the beef broth, wine and Cognac. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Gently simmer the soup for 15 to 20 minutes. Add the Swiss cheese and continue simmering until the cheese melts. Stir frequently while cheese is melting.
When serving, sprinkle each serving with grated Parmesan Cheese.
This recipe yields 8 servings; 5 carb grams per serving.