Real Texas Chili
Looking for a real deal Texas chili recipe? Your search is over! This style of chili represents the best of meaty and mighty Lone Star chilis.
- 3 pounds chuck roast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 tablespoons ancho chili powder
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, freshly ground
- 2 to 3 (14 1/2) cans beef broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cans pinto beans, drained (Optional)
- Sour cream
- Lime wedges
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
Brown beef in vegetable oil.
Add garlic and cook 2 minutes.
Add chili powder, flour, oregano, and cumin. Cook until meat is well coated.
Slowly add 2 cans broth. Stir well.
Partially cover and allow to simmer 45 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add additional broth, if needed, to reach desired consistency.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. If using the beans in the chili, add now. They may also be served on the side or omitted altogether. Partially cover and simmer 45 minutes more.
Cool and refrigerate overnight.
To serve, heat chili. Ladle into bowls, squeeze lime juice on top and top with sour cream. Serve with hot San Francisco Sour Dough Bread.