Mozzarella Stuffed Meatloaf Muffins
- 12 muffin/cupcake tin liners
- 3 mozzarella sticks, each cut into 4 even pieces
- Meatloaf Muffins
- 1 pounds LEAN ground beef*
- 1/2 cup Italian style bread crumbs
- 12 saltines saltine crackers, crushed
- 1/2 onion, roughly chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 rib celery, roughly chopped
- 1 small carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tablespoons low-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
- BBQ Ketchup Glaze
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, more to taste
- 1-3 teaspoons hot sauce (optional)
Adapted from carlsbadcravings.com
1.Preheat oven to 450F degrees.
2.In a medium bowl, whisk together BBQ Ketchup Glaze ingredients. Taste and adjust with more brown sugar for sweeter or more hot sauce for spicer. Set aside.
3.Add roughly chopped onion, green bell pepper, celery, carrot and garlic cloves to your food processor and finely chop. Add to large bowl along with the remaining Meatball Muffin ingredients and mix until well combined.**
4.Line a 12-muffin tin with muffin liners and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray. Using a 1/3 cup measuring cup, fill measuring cup, add a mozzarella piece to the center and roll into a ball and place in muffin liner. Repeat until muffin tin is filled.
5.Evenly top each meatloaf muffin with BBQ Ketchup Glaze.
6.Bake meatloaf muffins 20 minutes. Cut open 1 muffin to ensure it is cooked all the way through. Continue to cook if meatloaf is not fully cooked through.
7.Let stand 5 minutes then serve warm.
*You MUST use lean meat or grease will overflow the muffin tins.
**You want meat mixture consistency to be moist but hold it’s shape. It should not be crumbly-dry or runny-wet. If too wet, add breadcrumbs. If too dry, add milk.
***You can make these meatloaf muffins 100% ahead of time and store in the refrigerator. When time to bake, take them out of the refrigerator and let sit on the counter as you preheat your oven. Bake as instructed.