Chicken Thighs with Couscous & Kale
One-pot meals, like this all-in-one chicken thigh, kale and Israeli couscous recipe, are perfect for nights when you want to keep cleanup to a minimum. Look for Israeli couscous—small pearl-shaped pasta made from semolina flour—near other Middle Eastern dry goods in well-stocked supermarkets or specialty-foods stores.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 large boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 1 1/4 pounds), trimmed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 1 cup Israeli couscous
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups very thinly sliced kale
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
Adapted from eatingwell.com
Combine thyme, cumin, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Sprinkle both sides of chicken with half of the spice mixture.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large, heavy skillet, such as cast-iron, over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and onion to the pan; cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to soften, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in couscous and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until the couscous is lightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes. Add kale and the remaining spice mixture; cook, stirring, until the kale begins to wilt, 1 to 2 minutes.
Pour in broth and any accumulated juice from the chicken, then nestle the chicken into the couscous. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through and the couscous is tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (872 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (812 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Sausage, Egg & Biscuit Casserole 4.5/5 (704 Votes)
- Buffalo Ranch Alfredo Pasta 4.5/5 (687 Votes)
- Crockpot Cheese Tortellini and... 4.5/5 (666 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (488 Votes)
- Crock Pot Ravioli Casserole 4.5/5 (475 Votes)