Caribbean-style Roasted Pork Shoulder
Adapted recipe by unorthodoxepicure
- 1 – 9-11 lb. Bone-in, skin-on pork shoulder
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium – Onion, sliced (put in pan with pork roast, discard after cooking)
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 2 TB. olive oil
- 2 TB dried oregano
- 2 TB – Chile powder
- 2 TB. ground cumin
- 2 tsp – Ground coriander seed
- 1/4 cup – Cilantro leaves and stems, chopped finely
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
Mix marinade ingredients in a bowl; set marinade aside. Using a sharp knife, cut several 1-inch-deep slits all over pork in a glass or ceramic roasting pan. Generously sprinkle black pepper over top (skin side) of roast. Pour marinade over pork. Chill, turning pork every few hours, for at least 6 hours.
Preheat oven to 325°F.
Place onions in roasting pan around pork. Roast pork, basting with marinade every 30 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part reads 160° F, about 6 hours. Let rest before serving.