- CREAM CHEESE PASTRY:
- 8 oz. Cream cheese
- 1/2 cup Butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 cup All-purpose flour
- Have cheese and butter at room temperature. Put into bowl and beat together well. Mix in flour. Shape into ball. Chill at least 1 hour.
- 3 tbsps. Butter or margarine
- 1 Large onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 lb. Fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tbsps. All-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Thyme
- 1/4 cup Sour cream
- 1 Egg, beaten
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 50mins
Combine butter, onion and mushrooms in frying pan. Sauté about 10 minutes until tender.
Add flour, salt, pepper and thyme. Stir together. Add sour cream. Stir until thickened. Remove from heat. Cool thoroughly.
Roll pastry fairly thin. Cut into 3-inch (71/2 cm) rounds. Place 1 tsp. (5 mL) filling in center of each circle. Dampen outer half edge with beaten egg. Fold over and press edges together with fork or fingers to seal. Arrange on greased baking sheet. Cut tiny slits in top of each.
To freeze ahead:
Do not brush with egg. Freeze on tray. Transfer frozen turnovers to carton or plastic bag. Before serving, arrange on greased baking sheet. Brush with egg. Prick holes in tops. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven for about 20 to 30 minutes until browned. If already cooked heat in 325°F (160°C) oven for 15-20 minutes until hot.
MUSHROOM CUPS: Fill toast cups with mushroom filling. Heat in 400°F (200°C) oven for about 10 minutes or until bubbly hot