Beef Barley Stew
Delicious, comforting stew perfect for a chilly day! Hearty and packed with flavor!
- 2 tsp olive oil (divided)
- 2 lbs of lean chuck, diced
- 1 small sweet yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 8 cups of beef broth
- 1-2 bay leaves
- Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- 8 oz of mushrooms, sliced
- 3 stalks of celery, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 5-6 fingerling potatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup of pearled barley
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 tbsp cornstarch mixed with a little water
Preheat the oven to 275 degrees. Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add the beef in batches and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until caramelized. Once the beef is cooked, add the onion and garlic and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, stirring often. Add the beef broth, bay leaves and season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste. Cover the Dutch oven with a lid and place into the oven for 2-3 hours.
Heat the remaining teaspoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook for 3-4 minutes until golden brown. Add the mushrooms, carrots, celery, fingerling potatoes and pearled barley to the beef soup. Cover and cook on the stove top over medium low heat for 45-60 minutes or until the vegetables are soft and the pearled barley is cooked through. Mix a bit of cornstarch with some water and stir until completely dissolved. Add the cornstarch slurry to the boiling soup and stir. Remove from the heat and serve. Enjoy.