Curried Lentil and Vegetable Soup
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp grated gingerroot or 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 4 tsp mild curry paste or powder
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 1 cup red lentils
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup balkan-style yogurt
- 1/4 cup minced fresh coriander (cilantro)
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 45mins
Large saucepan heat oil over med heat; add onion, garlic and gingerroot; fry, stirring often until onion is soft, about 5 minutes
Stir in curry paste; cook, stirring for 1 minute
Add carrots, potato and lentils; stir to coat with curry mixture
Pour in broth and tomato paste; bring to boil.
Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer until vegetables are tender, and lentils have softened almost to mush, about 30 minutes.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Puree or mash if desired.
Top each bowl with spoonful of yogurt and sprinkle with coriander if using.