Rigatoni with Swiss Chard & Sausage
This Rigatoni with Swiss Chard & Sausage recipe is a regular part of our families menu rotation. So simple and tasty, the dish is perfect for a busy weeknight dinner.
- Kosher salt
- 12 ounces rigatoni
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 ounces sweet Italian sausage, casings removed, crumbled
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, stems removed, leaves chopped
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups milk (not skim)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated (about 1 ounce)
- Zest of 2 lemons, grated
- Freshly ground pepper
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 35mins
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook as the label directs. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water, then drain the pasta.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or wide skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate using a slotted spoon; set aside.
Wipe the Dutch oven clean; add the butter and melt over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until slightly softened, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the chard and cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted, 3 to 4 minutes. Sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring, until combined, 1 to 2 minutes.
Add the milk to the chard mixture and bring to a boil; cook 1 minute. Stir in the sausage, parmesan, lemon zest and a few grinds of pepper. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 6 minutes. Add the pasta to the pot and toss, adding enough of the reserved pasta water to loosen.
You'll also love
- Cranberry -Orange Muffins 4.3/5 (18 Votes)
- Beef Teppanyaki 4/5 (27 Votes)
- Grilled Cheese and Chorizo Sandwich 4.4/5 (18 Votes)
- German Apple Strudel 4.4/5 (17 Votes)
- Italian-Deli Pasta Salad 4/5 (40 Votes)
- Cinnamon-Rhubarb Muffins 3.7/5 (675 Votes)
- Asiago Garlic Alfredo Sauce 4.2/5 (32 Votes)
- Eggplant Parmesan with Italian... 4.2/5 (35 Votes)