Modified from the slow cooker recipe, Doubled it and made it spicy.
- For the chili:
- 70 grams / 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1.5 large yellow onions, medium dice
- 1.5 medium red bell pepper, medium dice
- 12 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chili powder
- 23 g or 2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 ,400g or 4 pounds lean ground beef
- 14 g or 3 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1 ,592mL Dice Tomato reduced salt (2 cans)
- 1 ,438g lean meat
- 1 can of chopped pickled jalapeños (reserve liquid or add liquid to add hotter),
- 2 medium chopped Serrano pepper 28g
- 2 (1080ml total) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (680ml) can tomato sauce
- For serving:
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Thinly sliced scallions (optional)
- Sour cream (optional)
- Calories: 345 calories per serving for 16 servings.
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 120mins
Adapted from chow.com
1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onions and bell pepper, season with salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 8 minutes. With the large batch consider using multiple pans to aid in browning.
2. Add the garlic, chili powder, and cumin, stir to coat the vegetables, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
3. Add the ground beef and measured salt and cook, breaking the meat into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until the beef is no longer pink, about 7 minutes.
OPTIONAL: for slow cooker use step 4.
4. Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker, add the diced tomatoes and their juices, tomato sauce, and beans, and stir to combine. Cover and cook until the chili thickens and the flavors meld, about 8 hours on low or 6 hours on high. Skip to step 6.
REGULAR: stove top
5. Using a large pot (to handle 19 cups of liquid) set to boil, then simmer for 1-2hours.
6. Stir in the jalapeños or green chiles. Taste and season with salt as needed, and serve with the cheese, scallions, and sour cream.
Serving: add if you want to counter act the heat