Shrimp Artichoke Lettuce Cups
- 2 large artichokes - (abt 1 lb each)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 1/8 teaspoons salt divided
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice wine
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 8 ounces peeled shrimp coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup thin rice sticks (optional)
- 2 tablespoons oil divided, plus
- additional 2 to 3 cups for deep frying (optional)
- 1 garlic clove thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced lemongrass
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onions
- 1 teaspoon seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (including stems)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-groundwhite pepper
- 1 head radicchio separated into
- leaves and stem ends trimmed
Trim the artichokes, removing the leaves and trimming any outer hard green portion left on the bottoms. Cut the heart in half and discard the fuzzy choke. Bring a small pan of water to boil. Add the lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of salt. Then add the artichoke heart halves, cooking until just tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain. When cool enough to handle, dice the artichoke. You'll have about two-thirds cup diced artichokes.
In a small bowl, mix the sugar, soy sauce, rice wine and cornstarch. Stir in the shrimp. Marinate for 15 minutes.
If using the rice sticks, place 2 to 3 cups of oil in a small deep-sided saucepan. Heat the oil to 375 degrees. Add the rice sticks and remove when they puff and float to the surface, a few seconds. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined baking sheet or plate. Let the noodles cool. Break into small pieces and put in a small serving bowl. Set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a nonstick skillet. Add the garlic and cook until golden, about 1 minute. Add the shrimp and stir-fry. When the shrimp is almost cooked through, add the remaining tablespoon of oil, diced artichoke, lemongrass, green onions, vinegar and cilantro. Heat through. Season with salt and white pepper.
Transfer the filling to a bowl and serve with radicchio leaves and, if using, puffed rice sticks.
This recipe yields 4 appetizer servings.
Each serving: 181 calories; 15 grams protein; 14 grams carbohydrates; 5 grams fiber; 8 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 86 mg. cholesterol; 561 mg. sodium.
You'll also love
- Sardines On Fennel Salad With... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Salmon Rillettes II 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Quick Cauliflower Pickles 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Norsk Salmon Burgers 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Grilled Corn And Arugula Salad 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Dried Oyster Lettuce Cups 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Beef Lettuce Wraps 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Shrimp Martini 0/5 (0 Votes)