A crackly cinnamon-crusted top gives this loaf appeal and sets it apart from the crowd. Spread thick slices with sweet cream butter or pop them into the toaster for a real treat.
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2-lb. (cantaloupe-size) portion of Artisan Bread Master Recipe
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
1. Combine sugar and cinnamon in small bowl. Generously butter 8 1/2x4 1/2-inch nonstick loaf pan; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the cinnamon sugar to coat pan.
2. Hold dough and dust top with flour; quickly shape into ball by stretching surface of dough around to bottom on all four sides, rotating dough a quarter turn as you go.
3. On lightly floured surface, roll dough into 15x12-inch rectangle, adding only enough additional flour to keep dough from sticking but not too much so it’s dry.
4. Reserve 1 tablespoon of the cinnamon sugar; sprinkle remaining cinnamon sugar and raisins over dough. Roll dough into log, starting at short end. Fold ends under loaf; place in pan. Cover loosely with plastic wrap; let stand in warm draft-free place 1 hour or until dough is slightly puffed and no longer chilled.
5. Meanwhile, place oven rack in second lowest oven position; heat oven to 375°F. Whisk egg and water in small bowl; lightly brush over top of loaf. Sprinkle with reserved 1 tablespoon cinnamon sugar.
6. Bake 45 minutes or until deep golden brown and loaf sounds hollow when tapped on bottom. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.