spicy poblano burgers with pickled red onions and chipotle cream
- Pickled Red Onions:
- 2 poblano chiles
- 1 tablespoon 1% low-fat milk
- 1 (1-ounce) slice white bread, crusts removed, and torn into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1 (7-ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- Cooking spray
- 4 (1 1/2-ounce) hamburger buns, toasted
- 1/4 cup Pickled Red Onions
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 jalapeño pepper, halved lengthwise
- 2 1/2 cups thinly vertically sliced red onion
- 1 . Combine the first 4 ingredients in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Add onion to pan, and cover. Remove from heat, and cool to room temperature. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
1. Preheat broiler.
2. Place poblano chiles on a foil-lined baking sheet, and broil for 8 minutes or until blackened, turning after 6 minutes. Place in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 15 minutes. Peel chiles, and discard the seeds and membranes. Finely chop.
3. Combine milk and bread in a large bowl; mash bread mixture with a fork until smooth. Add poblano chile, 1 1/2 tablespoons cilantro, cumin, coriander, paprika, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and beef to milk mixture, tossing gently to combine. Divide mixture into 4 equal portions, gently shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Press a nickel-sized indentation in the center of each patty. Cover and chill until ready to grill.
4. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
5. Combine the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons cilantro, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper in a medium bowl. Stir in sour cream, shallots, and juice. Remove 1 chipotle pepper and 2 teaspoons adobo sauce from can; reserve remaining chipotle peppers and adobo sauce for another use. Chop chile. Stir chopped chipotle and 2 teaspoons adobo sauce into sour cream mixture. Set aside.
6. Place patties on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 3 minutes or until grill marks appear. Carefully turn patties; grill an additional 3 minutes or until desired degree of doneness. Place 1 patty on bottom half of each bun; top each serving with 3 tablespoons chipotle cream and 1 tablespoon Pickled Red Onions.
9.8g (sat 4.5g,mono 2.5g,poly 1.4g)