Pumpkin Custard Squares
- 2 cups crushed gingersnaps (36 cookies)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk, or 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 can (15 oz) solid-pack pumpkin (not pie mix)
- 2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Whipped cream (optional)
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x9x2-inch pan with nonstick foil, extending foil beyond edges of pan.
CRUST - In a bowl, stir crushed cookies, melted butter and sugar, until combined. Press into bottom of prepared pan. Refrigerate while making filling.
FILLING - In a saucepan, whisk cornstarch and sugar. Stir in milk and egg. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until smooth, steaming and slightly thickened, about 4 minutes.
In a large bowl, blend pumpkin, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Whisk in milk mixture. Pour over crust; transfer to oven. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until center is set. Cool completely on a wire rack; refrigerate until serving.
Use foil to lift bar from pan. Slice into squares. Garnish with whipped cream, if desired.