Cauliflower Crust Grilled Cheese
- Makes 2 grilled cheese sandwiches
- Cauliflower crust “bread” slices
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into small florets (should yield 3 cups of cauliflower rice)
- 1 free-range organic egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup / 1.7 oz / 50 gr shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Grilled cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup / 3 oz / 85 gr sharp cheddar cheese, grated/shredded, room temperature
Adapted from theironyou.com
Cauliflower crust “bread” slices
Preheat oven to 450°F (220°C) and place a rack in the middle.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and liberally grease it with olive oil. Set aside.
In a food processor rice the cauliflower florets (it should be evenly chopped but not completely pulverized).
Transfer cauliflower rice (about 3 cups) to a microwave-safe dish and microwave on high for 8 minutes, until cooked.
Place the cauliflower rice in a tea towel and twist it to squeeze as much moisture as you can (I usually squeeze out over a cup of liquid). This is very important. The cauliflower rice needs to be dry, otherwise you’ll end up with mushy dough, impossible to use as slices of bread.
Transfer the cauliflower rice to a mixing bowl, add egg, mozzarella, salt, pepper and mix well.
Spread cauliflower mixture onto the lined baking sheet and shape into 4 squares.
Place in the oven and bake for about 16 minutes until golden.
Remove and let cool 10 minutes before peeling them off the parchment paper (be careful not to break them!)
Assemble cauliflower crust grilled cheese
Heat a pan over medium heat.
Butter one side of each slice of cauliflower crust bread (preferably the top part).
Place one slice of bread in the pan, buttered side down, sprinkle with the cheese and top with the remaining slice of cauliflower crust bread, buttered side up.
Turn the heat down a notch and cook until golden brown, about 2 to 4 minutes.
Gently flip and cook until golden brown on the other side, about 2 to 4 minutes.
One grilled cheese yields 374 calories, 29 grams of fat, 8 grams of carbs and 23 grams of protein.