Curried Coconut Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 butternut squash - (abt 2 lbs) halved, seeded
- 4 extra-large garlic cloves unpeeled
- 1 tablespoon light sesame oil or peanut oil
- 1 can coconut milk - (13 1/2 oz)
- 1 teaspoon Thai green curry paste - (to 2)
- Salt to taste
- Fresh lime juice to taste
- Chopped Thai basil, cilantro or scallions for garnish
Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Lay the squash cut-side down on a foil-lined baking sheet. Place the garlic cloves on a double thickness of foil and drizzle with oil. Fold the foil into a packet around the garlic and lay it on the baking sheet. Bake until both squash and garlic are very soft and the squash is caramelized, about 1 hour. Let stand until cool enough to handle.
Scrape the squash pulp into a soup pot. Squeeze the garlic out of the skins into the pot.
Shake the can of coconut milk well and pour the contents into the pot. Add 1 can cold water. Bring the soup to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes.
Cool slightly. Transfer the mixture to a blender, working in batches, and purée until smooth. Wipe the pot clean and return the soup to it.
Add the curry paste, starting with 1 teaspoon and working up to desired heat. Simmer until warmed through. Season with salt to taste. Add the lime juice to taste. Serve garnished with either Thai basil, cilantro or scallions. (Makes 5 1/2 cups)
This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.
Each of 6 servings: 194 calories; 2 grams protein; 13 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams fiber; 17 grams fat; 13 grams saturated fat; 0 cholesterol; 13 mg. sodium.
You'll also love
- Cranberry-Pecan Bread Salad 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Collard Greens And Lentils 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Ciudada Minty Lime Cooler 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Chocolate Zucchini Cake 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Chocolate Mousses With Olive Oil... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Bean And Winter Squash Gratin With... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Lemon Grass-Coconut Rice Pudding 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Coconut Cupcakes 0/5 (0 Votes)